Welcome to our church, we are happy to have you here.
History of Hydesville Community Church
The church building that houses Hydesville Community Church was erected in 1889. There were two other churches in town, a Methodist Church and a Congregational Church.
After some time attendance dwindled, and this church closed its doors.
A few years after the closing, the doors were reopened by a local resident Mrs. Rowley, who started a Sunday school. Eventually two laymen assumed the pastorate and church services started again. At this time the church was renamed the Hydesville Community Church. Other previous names of the church were: The Hydesville Union Sunday School, The Hydesville Christian School, Unitarian, and The First Christian Church. The church voted in 1961, under the influence of Pastor Dewayne Flohr, to affiliate with the Evangelical Church of America.
With the introduction of the railroad to Humboldt county, vision, momentum and physical advancement combined to create a defining moment. In 1889 a people's vision, fueled by the desire to serve the Lord, and to give sacrificially, created another defining moment: a building for a Christian Church was constructed. In 1956 restrooms were added, the ceiling is lowered, four classrooms are added and space is provided for a Pastor's study and a nursery. In 1974 the corner lot was purchased. In 1980 a Fellowship Hall, kitchen, restrooms, a nursery, and a Fireside Hall were completed. In 1986 a congregational survey revealed the need for increasing seating capacity in the sanctuary. Another 'defining moment' came in 1989. The church family votes to expand the ministry and mission of the church. Plans are approved for a new Sunday school wing, a new Associate Pastor and remodeling of the sanctuary. The church leaders brought together a program called 'Building on the Promises.'
In 1993 the Executive Board form of government was approved. In 1997 our church office broke into the information age via the use of computers. The congregation voted to purchase the house next door in 1998, and the house is paid off in full in a short amount of time through The Shares project. On Palm Sunday of 2000 we stepped out in faith and initiated a new third worship service on Sunday nights.
A Children’s Ministry Director was hired in response to the great potential that was seen in investing spiritually into the next generation. More staff members were added in response to the healthy church growth. In 2003 the church approved an Elder Board form of government and the constitution was rewritten and updated.
In 2010 the congregation endorsed the plan to build in Hydesville and enhance our existing facility. Plans, beginning with the paving of the parking lot, have begun so that we may more adequately house the many ministries of Hydesville Community Church.
The past decade has seen a series of challenges that have impacted the ministries of Hydesville Community Church. While smaller numerically, the church continues to have an impact for ministry in this region. In 2020 we said good-bye to our long time (37 years) Senior Pastor, Michael Delamarian.
In June of 2020 our Interim Pastor, Patrick Allen, came to minister to this congregation and lead us through a time of evaluation, planning and preparation for a new Senior Pastor.
The ministries and needs continue to grow in Humboldt County. It is a unique privilege to minister in this part of the world. A place of history, a place of pristine beauty, yet a locale with specific spiritual challenges for which the Lord has entrusted to this body of believers.